Friday, January 20, 2012

SHARING THE STORY


Please join me for a 4-week educational series at St. James Lutheran Church, where I will describe many aspects of my journey to Southern Africa and back again with the ELCA’s Young Adults in Global Mission program. Bring your questions!

St. James Lutheran Church is located at 1315 SW Park Ave. in downtown Portland. Worship 9:30am-10:30am, Discussion 11:00am-12:00pm. All are welcome!

Jan. 29 Being a Missionary: An Overview 
Accompaniment. Servant-Leader. Solidarity. Ubuntu. What do they mean? Come and find out how these words shaped my journey and the work that I did as a missionary! I will also be the guest preacher during worship, so if you've had a hankering to see me behind the pulpit this is your opportunity!

Feb. 5 HIV & AIDS in Southern Africa
Discover just how much HIV & AIDS affects life in Southern Africa, and what steps the church, the government, and non-profit organizations are taking to eradicate this disease. 

Feb. 12 Race & Socio-Economic Status in the Rainbow Nation
Black, White, and every other Color in-between. My thoughts about being white in a racially mixed country as I learned about labels and racism in a way I never expected.

Feb. 19 Spirituality & Faith: Here and There
Dancing in worship? An attitude of daily prayer and regular thanksgiving? Hear about how living one’s faith looks different in Southern Africa than it does in the USA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment