Friday, June 11, 2010

PLACEMENT

Thank you, James Taylor. I'm Going to Carolina in My Mind will be the default song in my head for the next few months, as I just heard that I will be living in the small town of Carolina while in South Africa.

According to Wikipedia:
Carolina is a town situated on the Johannesburg to Swaziland route in Mpumalanga province in South Africa. It is a mixed farming and on a small scale coal and precious stone mining community. It was established by Cornelius Coetzee as a permanent outspan for wagons when gold was discovered in 1883 in Barberton and named after his wife Carolina. It was rebuilt after it was razed during the Second Boer War. The Komati Gorge and associated Komati River are situated in the vicinity of Carolina. It has a very small township called Silobela with different sections in it. Silobela houses mostly Swati speaking people. There are Zulus, Ndebele's and a small number of Tsonga people.

Carolina is located in the province of Mpumalanga, which means "the place where the sun rises". It is considered to be one of the most geographically diverse and unbelievably beautiful places in South Africa.



Mpumalanga, South Africa



Carolina is right above the last 'a' in Mpumalanga

I will be serving with the Igwa Circuit of the Eastern Diocese of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Southern Africa (ELCSA), which incorporates numerous congregations in both urban and rural settings. Service opportunities may include: visitation of neighboring parishes, worship leadership, church administration, young adult’s league, etc. In addition, there are opportunities for service in the greater Carolina community, such as: agriculture development, HIV/AIDS outreach, soup kitchens, and many other things.

Sounds great, eh? I can't find Carolina in a guidebook anywhere, which I think means that I'll be having an authentic community experience without touristy boutiques and hotels. I am very much looking forward to the opportunity to travel to the parishes in my circuit, meet new people, and have flexibility in my service placement. I'll be in Carolina before I know it! 

1 comment:

  1. that's an excellent song to have in your head! love james taylor. i come up as elizabeth, but just know that translates as liz. :)

    ReplyDelete